How to transfer domain names
Learn how to transfer a domain name to the other party with our informative visual guides
Learn the steps for transferring domain names between accounts or check out our registrar transfer guides below
The process of transferring domains between accounts involves contacting your registrar and undertaking a procedure to transfer ownership. Each registrar has its own process and it can vary depending on whether the domain within the same registrar or between registrars.
If the domain is held in the same registrar as the buyer's intended account, the process is known as an Account Transfer or Push Transfer. If the registrars are different, this is known as an Authorization Code Transfer or EPP Code Transfer
Before you can transfer a domain, ensure that the domain is eligible to be transferred. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers' (ICANN) Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars outlines certain restrictions which can be applied to transferring domains:
- less than 60 days since the original registration date as shown on the who.is record, or
- transferred between Registrars within the last 60
In some cases, these restrictions may not apply; for example, if the domain is being transferred within the same registrar.
Account Transfer or Push Transfer (same registrar)
For the seller
- Get the details of the buyer's account from the buyer - To transfer a domain within a registrar, it is normal to specify the new account owner by their account name, email address or customer number.
- Begin the account transfer - In your registrar's domain name management interface, begin the Account Transfer. This option is normally located when selecting a specific domain name and selecting the settings option.
- Fill in the details and confirm the Account Transfer - Many registrars will send a confirmation email to your registrar email account or the admin contact registered on domain to confirm the transfer.
For the buyer
- Accept the account transfer - Account Transfers are normally accepted automatically after a short period of time but accepting the transfer can expedite the process.