How to buy and sell a website
Learn how to buy and sell websites online securely using Escrow.com in 5 easy steps
Escrow.com provides the most secure payment service for buying and selling websites or online businesses
Buying a website or online business can be very profitable, however there are a few pitfalls. Ensuring all the agreed upon property is delivered, and rights transferred can expose both parties to potential fraud and scams. Using a licensed and bonded escrow service removes that risk. Escrow.com holds the funds in our trust account whilst the terms of the website purchase are executed. Only when the buyer informs us everything is secured, we release the funds to the seller.
When buying or selling a website online, using a licensed and bonded escrow service will reduce the risk for both the buyer and the seller. Escrow.com guarantees the seller gets paid and the buyer gets their website, with a simple, stress-free process.
5 easy steps for buying and selling websites online
- The Buyer and Seller agree to terms - After registering at Escrow.com, both parties agree to terms of the transaction, which includes the websites, included content and business, and the sale price.
- The Buyer pays Escrow.com - The Buyer submits a payment to Escrow.com for the amount agreed to in the escrow agreement. Once Escrow.com verifies and secures the payment, the seller is instructed to transfer the website.
- The website is transferred from seller to buyer - The seller transfers the website to the buyer and indicates to Escrow.com that they have transferred the website. You can use our domain concierge service and we will take care of organising this step for you, or read our guide on transferring domains.
- The Buyer accepts the website - When the buyer indicates they have possession of the website the inspection period begins. If the terms of the escrow agreement are met, the buyer accepts the website on Escrow.com.
- The Seller is paid by Escrow.com - When Escrow.com can verify the website has been transferred to the Buyer or the inspection period has ended, Escrow.com releases the funds to the Seller from the escrow account.
For more information about transferring websites between accounts and between registrars, check out our How-To Guide